Charter Church Process
When a church plant develops to the point where they are ready to become a charter church the following process should be followed:
1. Prior to a formal request being made to the National Board for recognition as a charter church by the Board, numerous exchanges usually take place between the leaders of the church plant, the mother church and the President. These may include (but are not limited to):
2. Generally the acceptable criteria for beginning this process is when a church plant:
3. When the leaders and members of a local church and the mother church leaders are confident that application to become a charter church with FGCC should be pursued, the mother church initiates theprocedure by writing a letter to FGCC’s President and the National Board requesting “charter” status.
4. Upon consideration of (a) the request for “charter” status, and (b) the recommendations of the Unit Supervisor and President, FGCC’s National Board will render its decision and send its Resolution granting charter status (or a letter giving instructions, should further information be needed).
5. When “charter” church status is received, the national office will send the church an Application ForIncomeTax Registration (T2050 form) for completion. The completed T2050 form and required materials (from the local Church) will be sent to the national office.
6. Upon receiving notice of the newly assigned charity registration number, FGCC will prepare documents stating that the local body has been recognized as a CHARTER Foursquare church. The President will write an acknowledgement letter to the church/congregation which may be read or distributed. The national office will open accounts for GST rebates and payroll accounts (if required).
7. The local church’s pastor(s) will complete application(s) for National Ministerial License(s) with FGCC if this has not been previously done.
8. FGCC’s national office will contact the province’s Vital Statistics department to register the licensed minister(s) to perform marriages if not already registered.
9. The local church will enroll (with FGCC’s national office) all qualifying paid-personnel in the FoursquareBenefit Plan after appropriate waiting period(s) if they are not already participating (see FBP manual).
10. The church can order materials and receive promotional materials (catalogues, order blanks, etc.) from ICFG National Church Resource Center and/or Gospel Publishing House. (see Church Directory for telephone numbers)
11. Upon the pastor’s license being granted with FGCC, the Unit Supervisor will arrange for a time of “ordination” when hands are laid upon the pastor before the congregation. Staff ministers who are granted licenses are usually “ordained” (i.e. have hands laid on them) by the local church’s pastor andspiritual leaders.